Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Waste-Free Lunches - Updated with credit

My daughter attends a litterless school so I am already in the habit of packing her snacks in reusable containers. However, for next week, while she is at March Break Camp, I will be packing a full lunch for her most of the week she attends Camp Wannago (there is a pizza lunch scheduled one day so I will have some reprieve). This will be a good trial run for me with waste-free lunches and for her in a full-day experience. For the last 3 years (preschool, JK and SK), her classes have been half days so she has only needed a snack. Next week, I will be lunch-making the night before (currently, I snack-make the morning of). This is also good practice for E to be away the whole day.

She will have a similar experience this summer when she attends Los Amigos Summer Camp; another full day experience. And then of course, there's Grade 1 in September and every year thereafter when she will finally lose her half day privilege. :P

I thought I would post what E's school suggests as a waste-free lunch. I found it helpful, especially the part about sending in a cloth knapkin. You may notice that it is not only waste-free but nut-free as well.

Ok, I tried posting it but the "add image" widget is not working. So here is the waste-free lunch in a nutshell, without all the helpful and appealing graphic design.

  • Disposable lunch
    1 egg salad sandwich $1.25
    1 yogurt cup $0.85
    1 granola bar $0.45
    1 apple $0.30
    1 package of carrots & dip $0.65
    1 juice pouch $0.35
    1 paper napkin $0.01
    1 plastic spoon $0.04
    3 plastic bags $0.12
    TOTAL $4.02

  • Waste-free lunch
    1 egg salad sandwich $1.25
    1 serving of yogurt $0.50
    1 serving of granola $0.35
    1 apple $0.30
    1 serving of carrots & dip $0.25
    water $0.00
    1 cloth napkin $0.00
    1 stainless steel spoon $0.00
    packaging $0.00
    TOTAL $2.65

The average disposable lunch will cost about $723.00 per school year where as the waste-free lunch is only about $477.00 per school year. That is a savings of $246 per person per school year.

Of the "3 R’s" we so often think about recycling that sometimes we forget about reducing and reusing. Waste-free lunches are a great way to respect our environment and the health of our bodies. Post the attached flyer to your fridge to remind yourself to think "waste-free" when packing your lunch.

How to pack a waste-free lunch:
• Pack sandwiches and other main dishes, fresh fruits and, fresh vegetables, and treats in reusable lunch containers and not plastic bags.
• Send stainless-steel forks and spoons and not plastic ones.
• Fill reusable drink containers instead of using disposable juice boxes or pouches.
• Purchase a reusable lunch box. Do not use plastic bags.

The information above is possible thanks to http://www.wastefreelunches.org/

No comments: