Monday, April 26, 2010

the birthday bash has passed

What a day it was!

I stayed up late on Friday night baking 4 different batches of cake: 1 for her Spanish class, 2 for her bday party and 1 for the family supper party. The morning cupcakes were cherry chip and E helped to make those. After she went to bed, I made 2 batches of cupcakes for her afternoon party: a chocolate batch and a vanilla batch. I put the vanilla cupcakes in the shape of a "6" and the chocolate cupcakes all around the "6" for contrast and a second choice for the kids. I made a full size vanilla money cake for the family party. After all the baking was done, it was close to 2am.
I put E's present in a gift bag at her bedroom door so it was the first thing she would see when she got up in the morning. That happened before 7am that Saturday. Needless to say, I was pretty tired. I thought I might squeeze in a nap while she was at Spanish class, but I needed to assemble all her party gear and load it up in the car. I also decorated her family cake which took almost an hour.

At first, I was going to use M&M's to spell "Feliz Cumpleaños E....", but I ran out of room on the cake for the "Cumpleaños" part. Since I have a lot of M&M's leftover from Easter, I covered the entire cake, top and sides, with M&M's. It looked like a beautiful edible mosaic. E was delighted to see such a candy-rich cake. It wasn't until I cut it did I remember that I had put money in it as well: double bonus! :) Even though her bargaining failed when she tried to trade her quarter for the other bigger coins, Lucky E got to keep all 6 quarters, the loonie and toonie that the family left behind.

Her party with her amigos was awesome too! The OGC staff were great, especially H. The kids enjoyed a fun hour of gymnastics followed by pizza, cake and a piñata afterwards. It turns out that the chocolate and vanilla cupcakes were equally popular with the kids so it was good that they had the choice. We did both piñatas at the same time since we were getting close to when we had to leave. In retrospect, it would have been better to have done the smaller kids first as they were not able to compete with the older kids who are more adept at collecting the fallout from a piñata. Alas time was not on our side and we were unable to run the other 2 games I had planned. Sadly, the dorky prizes I had brought never made it out of the party box.

For the future, I will be sure to have an extra bag of candy on hand to fill up the smaller kids diminutive collections...especially the chocolate coins which were a big hit.

I am so grateful to my sister, the parents and my bil who helped out as much as they did. T, J and C helped set up the party room and look after the kids, J brought the pizza and A was instrumental in getting the piñata organized, not to mention his expert video capture. Even though I was tired, it was such a joy to be able to watch my daughter enjoy her day as much as she did and this feat was helped by the generosity of those who were there. Thank you! :)

No comments: