We enjoyed a pleasant drive up to the farm yesterday. The weather was perfect and the house was still standing, so was the barn and the drive shed. There was some minor damage inside the house, some drywall fell from the basement ceiling, windows were open a bit and a few items were not where we left them (but had only wobbled in to a new location). All in all, nothing major and certainly nothing to lose sleep over. I am so relieved!
We drove up the street to see how my neighbours held up and everyone and their houses were fine. We even drove toward Lac Echo (the epicentre for the earthquake) and saw some minor landslides, again nothing major. Interesting for us that people much farther than us suffered much more damage... I had been extremely nervous about the farm when I saw what happened in Gracefield (several buildings were damaged) and a fella's farm in Notre Dame de la Salette (his barn sunk in to a sink hole created by the earthquake). Both locations are significantly farther from the epicentre than us. Dad said it has something to do with the material of the rocks that conduct the vibrations. I suppose the big hill behind my house did end up protecting it. Some trees came down, but none on the house. I am getting kind of used to the trees falling down. It seems everytime we go up, another tree has fallen down. One of my fences was uprooted by the earthquake, but a tree fell in such a way as to take over for the fence. Nice! It looks like some other trees of mine came down near the road, but the municipality tagged them and cut them already.
I am very lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment