Thursday, September 20, 2012

like riding a bike...

well, maybe a little bit better.  :)

So, I have started back to school too.  I am not the oldest in my class, my prof is older.  :P

The first thing that is different, from my experience at university more than 18 years ago, is that there are way more laptops in the classroom.   There was only one or two when I left my university life behind.  I wish I could have snapped a pic. 

Imagine this, the kids file into the room, sit down, pull out their side tables and then reach into their backpacks.  That is all the same.  Then, instead of pulling out their pens and paper, they are bringing out their laptops, turning them on and launching the slides emailed by the prof the night before.  AND THEN... adding the notes on the slides directly.  LOVE THIS and I can't wait to bring my laptop so I can do the same.  :)

I have already started working on my first assignment, an issue analysis.  My dad is excited for me and has been offering items to add to my paper.  My subject isn't terribly fascinating, but it is controversial which makes it somewhat interesting. 

I will be discussing the omnibus bill that was tabled and passed a few months ago and relating it to the looming possibility of another one that may be tabled in the very near future.  Not that I want another omnibus bill, but if there is to be one, I'd rather it come soon so I can make my paper even more relevant.  As it is, I have 452 pages of reading to do just to become familiar with it.  Oy vey, and that doesn't even include all the subsequent reviews that I will also include in my analysis. 

But I am still excited to be back at school so I am really enjoying my readings, research and discussion groups.  I know, I am a geek all the way.. :)

No comments: