Monday, October 6, 2008

Electric Cars!!! :)




So we had a pretty great, maybe even historic, weekend. On Saturday, October 4th, we took the ZENN (zero emission no noise) electric car for a test drive in St. Jerome, QC. It was uber cool. At first, when we got in, we turned on the car, then turned it off and back on again as there is absolutely no noise when it is on. Everyone seemed to wait a few seconds before moving and I am pretty sure it was because we were all expecting the hum of an engine. That is not the case for an electric car. The engine is electric and not a combustion engine so there is no noise. That is so cool just by itself. As a super added bonus, there are 6 deep cycle batteries in the car that plug in to give you the juice to get it going.



My parents took this greenish one for a test drive and E and I got in the blue car behind them.
Here is the link for ZENN: http://www.zenncars.com/

At the launch in Quebec on Saturday, the president of ZENN thanked the public for campaigning the Quebec government to create legislation to allow the ZENN car access to city roads.


Currently, you must live in Quebec and some American states in order to buy the car. I am going to send an email to my provincial MP to tell him about our trip and to ask when Ontario will allow the ZENN cars to be sold here. If you wish to email your provincial MP, here is the page that lists all their email addresses:



1 comment:

kristin said...

I'm so jealous! I really wanted to go to that launch but was out of the country at the time. I've been writing to the Ontario government, Transportation Ministry and Minister of Transportation and so have several of my friends. This waiting for them to do the right thing is enough to drive me crazy!Check out my blog for stuff I've found out about this car.