Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Green E

Funny thing, the day I start to blog about being green is also St. Patrick's Day.

In fairness to my earlier post, I thought I might keep track of what we are doing now so we will have a basis for comparison later on.

E goes to a green school. They compost, insist on litterless lunches and have an environment club. I love my daughter's school. It is nestled in a residential neighourhood with a nice big city park next door. It is the type of school you wouldn't even know existed unless you lived there or someone told you about it. I didn't know about it until I found out it was the designated school for our area that offers early french immersion. So E can be green in 3 languages. :)

On to our current list of green choices:
1. no high wattage lightbulbs anywhere
2. recycle blue and black; and compost kitchen scraps
3. hang clothes to dry on drying rack
4. turn off lights/devices when not in use
5. bring our own bags/boxes to grocery store or do without if we forget

Not so green options that I want to make green options:
1. minimize use of chemical-rich soaps and detergents
2. minimize use of electric devices (reinstate "no tv days")
3. make a sustainable kitchen **this is going to be the hardest, I LOVE coffee and bananas...I may have to move to South America permanently. :)

No comments: