These visits have always been a bit weird and even more so for E to have someone in the house that only wants to talk about her. Under any other circumstance, she would be so totally thrilled to have all that attention. However, when it means a certain amount of scrutiny and some specific line of questioning, it weirds her out a bit. Me too for that matter. K, our social worker, was great and encouraging, so E did talk quite a bit and impressed me with her memory of a story we read at the store for the first time 2 days ago. In fact, she remembered the story so incredibly well, she began reciting a couple of pages verbatim. My little girl has quite a big memory. :)
Anyway, I hope we weren't too weird for K or as Hunter S. Thompson puts it, we'll have to go pro.
This was the last post placement visit for E. All the fun will resume with the next adoption and this time E will be able to distract her sibs from the weirdness that comes with being assessed post adoption.
9 days from today and we mark our 2 year anniversary as a family, officially, according to court documents. I didn't officially mark the day that we met nor the day E's adoption was finalized but she does tend to get her favourite eats on those days and I am a lot more lacksadaisical on some of our rules those days too. I told myself I wasn't going to do "gotcha day" anniversaries since I didn't want her to feel that adoption was any different than any other way in making a family. But it is more my personal celebration of that moment where all the paperchasing and waiting reached a happy conclusion. So I have rediscovered yet another part of myself that I did not know: that really sentimental part that lurks beneath the surface and shows up uninvited at the most awkward of times.
Excuse me while I go cry. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment