Wednesday, June 3, 2009

mucho occupado

I have been so bad about posting. Life has just been go, go, go. One of the reasons that I post is so that I can have a bit of a record of what was going on while E and I waited for her sibling to come home. It's also pretty cool that we can keep in touch with friends and family near and far when life does get too crazy to pick up a phone. But only if I post. So, I am going to try and get better about making this blog more purposeful, or at least live up to its purpose. ;)

Last weekend was our final exam for mom, dad and my Spanish class. We studied, I studied. Especially gerundios, but when it came time to write the exam, there was a section that stipulated (in english) that we were to create sentences and conjugate verbs using present progressive and I didn't. I had studied it as "gerundio" and not "present progressive" so I used "ir + a + infinitivo" to compose my sentences. I don't think I did as well on the exam as I had hoped. Que sera sera.

A couple of days ago, I ordered Juntos Dos and Caminos textbooks from ThriftBooks. The textbook that we used for this class was Juntos Uno and they have 3 versions that I found online: Juntos Uno, Dos y Tres. Dad and I are going to continue doing our own independent Spanish studying. I am not sure about Mom though. She has joked about going back to do the same class over again and acing it. I will wait and see if she joins our study group before ordering her the activity books that accompany the textbook.

The library is getting better and better about stocking more and more Spanish books. We borrow a couple each time we go and so E is reading both in English and Spanish now. One of the books that is totally appropriate for her level of reading is called "Me gusta cuando, I like it when". It is a cute little book that she can read by herself as the words are short and so are the sentences. She has started reading longer stories like Strawberry Shortcake, but stumbles on some words. Still, pretty impressive stuff for a 5 year old.

Last week, E had a speech therapy appointment that went super well. The therapist was impressed at how well E is articulating the "th" sound now. It is kind of funny how she does it. She really emphasizes the sound so "th" words are more heavily pronounced than other words. But the therapist was impressed that she is making a concerted effort to properly pronounce the "th" sound. Bath is a word that we practice a lot. It used to be "baf", now it is "ba-TH-e". E still rolls her "r" for some words like "green", but the therapist is not concerned since "r" sounds are trickier. It is good she can roll the "r" already as it will help not only her spanish, but her french as well. She starts french immersion in September and Spanish summer camp in July, so this summer, we hope to spend more time avec nos amis francophones y con nuestros amigos latinos.

Yesterday, E's summer Spanish camp teacher called to introduce herself. She sounds lovely. I can't wait for E to start this as it will give her 3.5hrs a day in Spanish for 5 weeks. I wish I could go!

No comments: