I LOVE Saturdays because they are so relaxing. E and I were going to get up early today in preparation for her early starts next week. But she had such trouble falling asleep last night, I didn't want her to be dragging her feet through today. Besides, soccer this afternoon should wear her out, as well as a nice visit with our latino amigos afterwards. By the end up the day, she should be so tuckered out she likely won't be reading in her room and singing songs like she did last night.
I was hoping to get together with some friends last night after E went to bed, but the weather was wet so I opted for my original plan of watching the Devil's Miner. I borrowed it Thursday from the library. Dad came over too since he has more than a passing interest in Bolivia. It was a very well made documentary. Amazing that they were able to film the children inside the Cerro Rico mines. Such tight spaces. It is also really heart-breaking to know that the children who were filmed are but 2 of hundreds of children who grow up inside these mines only to die by accident before they finish puberty, or if they're lucky, of silicosis before they reach 40. Thankfully, this documentary has made it on to the Human Rights Watch and there is at least one group actively seeking out these children and supporting their families in order to make it possible for them to attend school without the dangerous job on the side.
As for the weather, we have another cloudy, probably rainy day ahead. I don't mind though. It is the kind of weather that makes you want to stay indoors and relax. Lately, it seems E and I are always on the run so it is nice to have a day where we get to chill out a bit before getting a move on. This morning, we did our groceries and that went well considering everyone in our city also does groceries on Saturday mornings. As busy as it was, the grocery store was Saturday-ready so it went pretty fast. I still have a couple more things to pick up but since I am bringing buns to S's latina fiesta, I can pick up the rest of my ingredients for the dip I am going to make tonight for L's pool party tomorrow when I hit the bakery for the buns. It doesn't seem like buns are quite enough though, so I will pack a bottle of wine too. Bread and wine...maybe I should bring some cheese too. That sounds like a nice grouping of things to bring. I think that's what I'll do. Now I will need to swing by my folks to borrow their cooler and load up on ice to keep the cheese cool. Well, I should get started on chopping up that cheese.
Ciao for now and happy Saturday everyone!
K.
No comments:
Post a Comment