A couple of weeks ago, my parents' relatively new (2006) hot water heater sprung a leak. Sadly, it must have happened overnight as their basement was flooded. Dad was good about turning off the water and emptying out the soggy contents and then getting a new hot water heater installed in record time. However, the contents of their basement were either put out for the trash or salvaged by bringing to the main floor to dry off.
Yesterday was the day of reckoning: what to keep and what not to keep. That was a day of nostalgia. A bunch of my old toys had been kept in the basment. One of my favourite toys was a 3 in 1 doll that my grandma gave me when I was about E's age, maybe a little older. It is Little Red Riding Hood on one end and the grandma and the wolf on the other end once the skirt is flipped over and the hat is made to cover either the wolf or grandma's face. As a kid, I thought that was such a great toy by virtue of the fact that it was 3 toys in 1. I totally get why the transformer toys are such a big hit with kids. Well, it was in the basement and did get a little wet. But I am going to toss it in the washing machine with my towel wash and hope for the best. E thinks it is a pretty great toy too. But I warned her that it may not survive the wash.
I don't think she was too non-plussed about that because there were a million other toys that used to belong to myself, my brothers and my sister all occupying space in that destined to be purged water-logged basement. Now I know from where I get my pack-rattedness.
There were also a pair of cabbage patch dolls. I totally remember when we got these. There was a huge hype surrounding them. Unfortunately, I was too old for dolls when they were popular and remember thinking it was cool that I got one of the toys they kept talking about on the news (I too was affected by the hype), but quickly passed it off to my sister who was delighted to have two of them. So they are really T's toys as I never actually played with mine. E didn't seem to care much for them. She did really like my Little Red Riding Hood doll though. Such a cool toy/doll. I hope it doesn't get destroyed in the washing machine. Maybe I should wash it by hand...
Anyway, there were a million other things that we came across and still a million more to sort. So today is another day of nostalgia...
2 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about your agency and Ecuador adoption. I'm a Canadian single and was hoping to adopt from Ecuador or Ethiopia as soon as I return home from living in Europe, in October. I'm eager to find where you chose to adopt from.
Yeah, it was a bummer about the agency closing. One door closes, another one opens. As soon as things seem more certain, I will be happy to provide details.
Post a Comment