Wednesday, February 10, 2010

miracle mornings

Last night, E did a lot of running around at the Winter Carnival with her friend N. This, coupled with her gymnastics on Tuesday morning, made for a high energy day for E. Understandably, she was quite tired and slept deeply and soundly all night. Now, when I write "soundly", I mean that I could hear her. It wasn't quite snoring, but almost. When the morning rolled around (E is normally awake at the crack of dawn), my E was still soundly sleeping.

I went about my morning routine, did some laundry, put out the garbage and recycling and then when I was completely ready to go, I went upstairs to tickle my hija awake. Lucky for us, she has afternoon SK so she was able to eat at her abuelos. But it took a few tickle times to get her going. It really was a miracle morning that we made it out of the house when we did.

It reminded me of a song that E likes to listen to in Spanish and English:

de pan y canela
dame un besito
vete pa' la escuela
si no quieres ir
acuéstate a dormir.

the english is not a direct translation but it is close and more lyrical

bread and cinnamon, this is the rule
give me a kiss and hurry to school
if you want to sleep instead
I won’t wake you sleepyhead.

Now I would have loved to let E sleep as late as she wanted, but not only would that have made me late for work, it would have also screwed up her sleep schedule for later. By tickling her, I can get her moving but that doesn't always mean she keeps going. It isn't uncommon on a miracle morning such as today's that I would need to return several times to her room to keep the sleepyhead from drifting into dreamland. Luckily today, she got going after the third tickle bout.

Speaking of dreamland...I had a weird dream last night. I dreamt I had adopted a 10 month old baby that I named Olivia and that E was thrilled to finally have a sister. It is especially weird since we are hoping for a child 2 years younger than E which does not put my future child as an infant of 10 months. I don't know what made my subconscious think that I would name the baby Olivia. I know that my adopted child will already have a name and it is my belief that an adopted child loses so much of their former selves in an adoption that their birth names are the only thing that really connects them to that part of their history.

Maybe, Olivia is the name of my next child? Maybe I am psychic? Maybe I watch too much Medium... :)

No comments: