Monday, November 29, 2010

"2 more days"

"2 more days" was all E could talk about this morning at breakfast. E is referring to the beginning of "the Christmas month".

For the last 3 years, I have been picking up a disposable advent calendar for E. This year, we are using a beautiful wooden advent calendar that I will be filling on a nightly basis. I know my kid. The temptation would be be too much to have all the cubbies filled and NOT open them. So I will fill them one at a time, the night before, while E sleeps.

She is super curious and keeps asking what I am going to be putting in the advent calendar. I keep telling her that each day will be a surprise. I have toyed with the idea of making it a themed calendar but have since decided otherwise. 24 of one thing seems a little excessive plus she may lose interest. So even though I haven't really planned out her calendar yet, I figure it will be a mish mash of trinkets, stickers, notes and probably some candy too.

You may be wondering why I would put notes in E's calendar but if you were on the receiving end of the internal mail that is passed back and forth at our house, you would understand. E is fascinated with mail right now. She loves writing letters, receiving letters and making notes. I sometimes have to stop myself from laughing as she marches in to my room and hands me a note.

In fact, some of my notes might be directions...hmmm, there is this tamagotchi toy I want to give her the week before Christmas when school ends but it is just a little too big for the calendar opening. A note telling her where to find the tamagotchi would be just the thing! Thanks bloggy world for helping me think that one out. :)

No comments: