Saturday, January 8, 2011

piano lessons

Yesterday, I picked up a nifty little rubber keyboard that is digital and rolls up to make it really portable. It only has 32 keys, but enough to get E started. I looked in to signing her up for piano lessons at the Community Centre where she does her dance class, but they have been full for months. I tried 2 other community centres and both of them are also full. However, the last one said that their classes started today and not all the kids showed up, so they will let me know next week if I can get my E in. The fella at the community centre also shared that the piano and dance classes are the first to fill up, but other classes are left to the last minute before the parents show up to register their kids. I guess every parent wants their child to be cultured.

E is very excited that she might be starting lessons next week. She considers her keyboard a toy and keeps wanting to "play with it". At first, I thought she was confusing "play the piano" with "play with the piano", but she is forgoing her other toys to spend time banging away at her new rubber toy. It really is neat as it allows her to play a bit and record at the same time. E has been delighted in "showing" me her music. She is pretty good for a kid who hasn't had a lesson. I shouldn't be too surprised though, E has always had a thing for patterns. She has been grouping sounds together and repeating them, it sounds good to me.

Even better is that there is a spot for her to plug in her earphones so she can play and play and all I hear is her singing along to the little demo tunes with which she is learning to play along. If I can't get her in to the class next week, I will see about getting some music lessons online or from the library and take a stab at teaching both her and myself at the same time. Wish me luck! :)

No comments: