What a week! Nothing extraordinary, but getting back to our routine. It's quite an adjustment getting back in to the swing of things after the holidays. E is normally a chipper child in the mornings, but this week, it took a lot of cajoling to get her moving. Monday was easy as she was super excited to go back to school and see all her friends, but Tuesday onward, not so much. I quickly resorted to yogurt bribes to help her get going. Thank goodness my child has an insatiable appetite for yogurt.
Lately, E also has a head for numbers. I had picked up a math activity book for her last week and she just can't put it down. E already knows addition and subtraction but is now tackling multiplication and division. I love how this book explains multiplication: adding up groups. When I was a kid, we were taught to memorize the times tables. I had picked up a multiplication poster for E's room and it was just hanging there as decoration. I suppose I was kind of hoping that passively, she would start to memorize it by virtue of it being there and visible to her on a daily basis. Not so much.
But put multiplication in an LPS activity book with reward stickers and drawings of pets illustrating the groupings of math problems, E can't get enough of it.
Now that E is figuring out math, I think she may be ready for piano. Lessons are offered at her school, but they take place during the lunch hour. Initially, I thought I would sign E up for piano lessons through the school, but she would miss seeing some of her friends.
There is a piano teacher at the community centre where E does her Peruvian dance. I like the idea of that one more as it means I can listen in on her lessons and maybe learn a thing or two myself. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment