Friday, February 4, 2011

belated Gung Hay Fat Choi!

This morning, E wished me a Gung Hay Fat Choi, the day after. She mentioned she meant to wish me a Gung Hay Fat Choi yesterday. So happy belated Chinese new year and may everyone have a prosperous year of the rabbit! :)

Yesterday, we were busy doing E's homework. At the beginning, my E was getting a little frustrated as she couldn't quite grasp the nature of the task at hand. However, when she reached that Eureka moment of finally "getting it", it was such a delight to see. I reinforced it with "I knew you would get it", "you are very smart". Sometimes I worry that if she lets herself get too frustrated and starts uttering phrases like "I don't get it", the sentiment becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Instead, I offered that if she is "not getting it", she should really be thinking, "what tools do I need to help me figure this out?".. Even after we brought out the dictionary, E remembered that some of her homework questions were based on "la lecture" that occurred earlier in the day. That was also a good epiphany for her as she now realizes her homework helps to reinforce what is taught in class.

Not only did E get a lesson in doing her homework, there was a more pivotal lesson learned in how she does her homework.

No comments: