Friday, January 8, 2010

antibiotics #2

So here's what I've learned: I am allergic to a great many antibiotics and my body doesn't take kindly to pain killers. After last weekend's allergic reaction to the first antibiotic and then the less than perfect reaction to the pain killer (my body refused to let them in), my family chipped in and took care of E for me. LOVE THEM!!

I cooped myself up in my house for 5 days, partly to recover from the ear infection, but also to recover from what I did to recover from it on the weekend. Oy vey, I was one tired and infected body. Five days inside was enough to give anyone cabin fever. I ventured outside and just when I thought the pain was starting to subside, weird whirring noises turned up the volume inside my infected ear. I noticed this when the heating fan was on in the car. I had to ask my dad to turn off the fan, it felt like something was grinding inside my ear. Music was also doing that to my ear. Every time the phone rang. I had to take my phone off the hook, it was just too high pitched a sound, the only sound that ear is letting me hear.

Yesterday, I went to see my doctor. She took one look and proclaimed that my ear looked "angry", translated: eardrum is a swollen red pussy mess. In short order, she prescribed another antibiotic and told me not to get all rashy on her. :) My doctor is so sweet.

This is the second day I am on the new antibiotic and so far, no rash. :)
I still can't hear anything out of that ear which leads E to ask everything on the side of my good ear. Super cute. When I don't catch what someone has said right away, E is my advocate and tells them that they have to speak into my good ear. Really super cute.

E is doing awesome. And has been a real trooper through all of this. Even though she slept over at my sister and brother-in-law's on the weekend, she has been sleeping at our house during the week. My dad has been picking her up in the morning and dropping her off at night so that I can help her with her homework and get her ready for school. As someone who has not been getting a lot of sleep as of late, my bedtime is now the same as E's.

My sleep is sporadic, so even though I am going to bed early, I only get about an hour's sleep at a time before I wake up and adjust to the pain again to find a way to get another hour in. Last night, I could hear E still playing in her room as I put myself to bed a little earlier than usual, for this week. At one point, she came in to my room and pulled my duvet up over my shoulders and kissed me on the forehead. E has been tucking me in every night. She is such a good little mommy. :)

This morning, E reminded me that I was supposed to start her allowance this month. It should have started on Sunday, but you now all know why it didn't. So this Sunday, she will get a double allowance. It is actually kind of good that she will be getting a double allowance this week as it will allow me to introduce the $2 coin to her. Since her allowance is a dollar a week, she would not see that coin otherwise. One of the reasons I am introducing an allowance is so that E can learn the coins and how much they represent so this is good.

No comments: