Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Namaste

I have always been really grateful for all the goodness in my life. But recently, with a reminder at how precarious life as we know it can be, I am even more humbled by all that surrounds me.

I feel such love for my family: my precious daughter, my sage and supportive parents, my sweet and funny sister, my strong and inspiring brothers and my generous and good-natured brother-in-law and all those in my extended family who never cease to amaze me with their kindness and good humour. For my friends, I also consider family, as I have such good friends, old and new, and even though we sometimes don't see each other for months at a time, when we get together or on the phone, it is as though no time has passed. Some of my friends have no children at all but have been amazingly understanding and welcoming of E into our friendships even if it means she becomes the only child at a Christmas Eve party (T and L, you folks rock!). I love how accepting and caring everyone has been. E is growing up in a world where friends are just like family.

E has felt such kinship with her friends as well. At her Peruvian dance class last Friday, she asked if G could become part of our family. G is a 6 year old that E absolutely adores. E often wants to get to Peruvian dance early so that she and the other kids can play before class starts. It is super cute to see children as young at 2 years old chasing after the older kids and that the older kids indulge the smaller ones in doing so.

E's dance class is so rich in cultural specialness that I sometimes find myself sinking into my chair to soak it all in. I genuinely feel the thankfulness I express to her teacher at the end of each class. Her latino soccer is also so full of awesome coaches and parents who endlessly motivate and encourage the kids to have fun and do their very best. The end of every soccer session is a huddle with the coaches and kids, and all their hands in the centre while shouting "amamos el futbol" or "we love soccer". This soccer club is so inclusive, even non-Spanish speaking children have joined. Last weekend, the coaches were doing simultaneous-translation for the newer non-latino kids who have joined. Totally cool!

E's gymnastics, "sporty kids soccer and more" and Spanish class also run double duty in giving E fun activities as well as giving her a schedule of exercise for both her body and her brain. I am eternally grateful for my daughter's good health and quick wit. She is a brilliant child and I feel so fortunate to have found so many great places where she will be allowed to grow to her full potential. Last but not least is her school where the teachers are stellar and make me one of those parents that is happy to have my child do homework. Last year, E finished junior kindergarten knowing how to read in English. This year, the focus is on teaching the kids basic French words so E is now figuring out the difference in how sounds are made between English and French. It has been a thrill to see her acknowledge the similarities between French and Spanish. I am so excited to start my next child in French immersion as I am sure it will be a seamless transition.

I am also incredibly grateful for having time to plan for E's new sibling. I imagine him/her playing in a park and getting abrazos and besitos from his/her mama del orfanato. I am picturing that same mamacita telling him/her that I am going to come and get him/her soon and that he/she will have their very own family. This time spent waiting for E's sibling has been a blessing in disguise. E is fully aware of an impending adoption and is anxiously awaiting her sibling. The beauty of the wait is that E will be older and more cognizant of the process so she will better understand how her adoption transpired and she will in turn be able to share the adoption experience with her sibling.

This waiting has done something really interesting to me, it has made me patient. It was disappointing when the agency went bankrupt last summer. However, Plan B feels like it is our true path and we only found this path through the bankruptcy of the agency. We are exactly where we are supposed to be. I am eternally grateful. Namaste.

No comments: