Friday, September 7, 2012

Back to school

Back to school.  New school and a new ride.  Instead of a bus, E gets picked up in a mini-van.  This is great as her pick up time is more reasonable now.  She used to ride the bus for an hour before she got to school.  She was the first pick up of more than 2 dozen kids.  Now, she is first of 5.

My mom and dad came out to help send her off on her first day.  They even followed her in and waited with E in the school yard.  Talk about your doting grandparents!  :)  Mom has volunteered to send E off every morning so I can make an earlier start to my work day.  As much as I will miss sending my E off to school, I will be home for her after school which will be so nice.

E is loving her new school and already has 3 new friends.  She loves her teachers and her new principal.  She loves the lunchroom and the 2 long recesses.  I have to admit, the balanced school day was a big part of why I moved her.  E is a good student and is reading 2 grades above level, but most days, she used to bring her lunch home unfinished.  Other times, her lunch containers wouldn't make it home at all.  It turns out, her old school would send the kids out for the short breaks with their snacks.  My E would rather play than eat so this is why food came home and that sometimes, containers would not.  She would leave her snack against the wall while she played on the monkey bars.  Sometimes, she would remember to bring it in, sometimes not.  All told, the end of the day would result in a famished child and a frustrated mom.

Earlier this summer, I took the clunky old PC out of E's room and made space for her new desk.  I repurposed the old laptop we took to Ecuador and it is now E's computer.  It is not bad for a 6 year old laptop.  This morning she was up at 5am to play on it.  Even though I have parental controls on it, I am not sure early morning gaming is good for my girl, so I will be turning off the router at night.

Next week, E starts back to all her activities.  Piano, swimming, dance and then Spanish on the 22nd.  It's nice that the activities are delayed a week to give the kids a chance to get acclimated to being back at school.
 

No comments: